‘Guns Akimbo’ Review: Daniel Radcliffe vs. Samara Weaving in a Wild Death-Match | TIFF 2019

Collider | 9/10/2019 | Perri Nemiroff
Click For Photo: http://cdn.collider.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/08/guns-akimbo.jpg

If you’re looking for vibrant, high-energy midnight material, director Jason Lei Howden has you covered. He first caught my eye with his directorial debut Deathgasm which premiered at SXSW back in 2015 and still to this day, it’s one of my favorite film festival midnight premiere experiences. A four and a half year gap between films is longer than I would have liked but perhaps Guns Akimbo needed it. It’s super ambitious, irresistibly flashy and well worth the wait.

The movie stars Daniel Radcliffe as Miles, a video game developer who takes great pride in “trolling the trolls” online, like those in the comments section of Skizm, an operation that live streams illegal death-matches. Miles catches the attention of the head of Skizm, Riktor (Ned Dennehy), and Riktor decides to force Miles to participate. Miles wakes up to find he’s got guns bolted to his hands and he’s facing off against Skizm’s most deadly competitor, Nix (Samara Weaving).

Guns - Akimbo - Ride - Bit - Time

Guns Akimbo is a ride. We get to spend a little bit of quiet time getting to know Miles at the start of the film, but the moment he comes face to face with Nix, Guns Akimbo launches into one explosive action set piece after the next. Perhaps that could grow tiresome, but not in Howden’s hands. Deathgasm was a darkly delightful metal romp that suggested Howden was one to watch. Guns Akimbo proves it. It’s a confidently directed action thriller packed to the brim with complicated stunts, expertly executed set pieces, and downright stunning lighting schemes. Yes, it’s one shootout after the next backed by familiar songs giving some of them a music video feel, but it’s all a feast for the eyes thanks to Howden’s designs and cinematographer Stefan Ciupek’s dynamic camera work.

It’s also a perfectly cast film. Thanks to Ready...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Collider
Wake Up To Breaking News!