Romney signals he's open to bipartisan background check bill

TheHill | 9/9/2019 | Jordain Carney
sally140353 (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://thehill.com/sites/default/files/romneymitt_070919gn_lead.jpg

Sen. Mitt Romney (R-Utah) said Monday that he believes all commercial gun sales should be subject to a background check and signaled he's open to supporting bipartisan legislation from Sens. Joe Manchin (D-W.Va.) and Pat Toomey (R-Pa.).

"It certainly should be applied to commercial sales and finding a more comprehensive way to make sure that people are in the system that ought to be in the system," Romney told reporters when asked about expanding background checks.

Legislation - Manchin - Toomey - Gun - Background

Asked if he would support legislation from Manchin and Toomey, which would expand gun background checks to all commercial sales, Romney said he had spoken with Toomey and was reviewing the bill.

"I'm looking at that. ... Directionally, that is something I would support, but I have not read the legislation. That is something I would have to look at before I signed on," Romney added.

Manchin - Toomey - Momentum - Background - Check

Manchin and Toomey are trying to build new momentum behind their bipartisan background check legislation in the wake of shootings in Odessa and El Paso, Texas, and Dayton, Ohio.

The bill fell short of getting the 60 votes needed in 2013. Only two Republicans still in the Senate, Toomey and Sen. Susan...
(Excerpt) Read more at: TheHill
Wake Up To Breaking News!