Oregon man arrested in 1978 death of Alaska teenager

ABC News | 9/3/2019 | Staff
donuzumaki (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://s.abcnews.com/images/Technology/WireAP_33a17f0cedab4342a8c257a187496dcb_16x9_992.jpg

A 62-year-old Oregon man is under arrest in connection with the 1978 rape and death of teenage Anchorage girl, Alaska State Troopers announced Tuesday.

Gresham, Oregon, police assisted in the arrest Friday of Donald F. McQuade in connection with the death of 16-year-old Shelley Connolly, troopers said at a news conference. Genetic DNA testing linked McQuade to the girl's death, and he was never a suspect before that match.

Teenager - Body - Ditch - Seward - Highway

The teenager's body was found in a ditch along the Seward Highway, about 15 miles (24 kilometers) south of Anchorage, by a group of people at a roadside pullout taking photographs of the view.

Troopers Director Col. Barry Wilson said he wanted to offer his condolences to the girl's family and friends.

Years - Shelley - Case - Wilson - News

"I can't imagine how painful it's been over the years knowing what happened to Shelley and for her case to remain seemingly unnoticed," Wilson said at a news conference. "While I can announce this outcome today, it does not make up for the years of pain they faced."

The teen's mother, Judy Connolly, attended the announcement. Afterward, she said she was flabbergasted when she heard from Alaska State Troopers about the arrest. She noted it had been 41 years since Shelley's death, which completely altered her family's lives.

Day - Lifetime - Lot

"I'd never thought I'd see this day in my lifetime," she said. "It means a lot."

The teen's stepfather was shown photos of the victim and identified her after hearing media reports of the discovery of an unidentified young woman, according to a trooper affidavit, which was obtained by Anchorage television station KTUU. The stepfather told authorities Shelley had failed to come home the previous night.

Autopsy - Shelley - Connolly - Injuries

An autopsy found Shelley Connolly was sexually assaulted. She also had multiple injuries, including a...
(Excerpt) Read more at: ABC News
Wake Up To Breaking News!
No matter where you go, there you are.