Robert Pattinson Got Furious Over ‘Batman’ Casting Leak, Embraces Fan Backlash

IndieWire | 6/25/2021 | Staff
Click For Photo: https://www.indiewire.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/shutterstock_9715722y.jpg

Robert Pattinson has finally broken his silence on playing Batman/Bruce Wayne in Matt Reeves’ upcoming superhero tentpole “The Batman.” In a new interview with Variety, Pattinson sounds off on the nerve-wracking casting process and what it was like to try on the Batman suit for the first time. Pattinson was confirmed by Warner Bros. for the role May 31, but his casting was leaked a couple weeks earlier on May 16. The actor told Variety the leak was excruciating because he thought it might jeopardize his chance of landing the part. When Pattinson’s casting was informally leaked May 16, the actor had yet to even audition for the role.

“When that thing leaked, I was **** furious,” Pattinson said. “Everyone was so upset. Everyone was panicking from my team. I sort of thought that had blown up the whole thing.”

Pattinson - Batman - Role - Awhile - Reeves

Pattinson had been eyeing the Batman role for awhile because he had heard Reeves’ script focused on a younger version of Bruce Wayne. “I’d had Batman in my mind for a while,” he said. “It’s such an absurd thing to say. I sort of had an idea to do it, and I’d been prodding Matt. He didn’t accept any prods. I kept asking to meet him.”

Reeves agreed to a meeting with Pattinson after the script was finished, but the casting leak made the actor feel like all of the hard work he’d put in to be taken seriously by Reeves might be thrown out. “It was terrifying,” Pattinson said of the leak. “I was like, ‘Oh ****! Does that **** me because they are so intent on secrecy?’”

Leak - Pattinson - Running - Audition - Process

The leak did not take Pattinson out of the running, but the audition process only got more intense afterwards. Pattinson was heading to the Cannes Film Festival to world premiere “The Lighthouse” in Directors’ Fortnight...
(Excerpt) Read more at: IndieWire
Wake Up To Breaking News!