Chris Packham leads animal rights campaigners demanding that Tesco stop 'painful' chicken farms

Mail Online | 9/2/2019 | Jack Elsom For Mailonline
Tanya9 (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2019/09/02/16/17980064-0-image-a-27_1567439629827.jpg

Chris Packham has accused Tesco of selling chickens that are reared at breakneck speeds which leads to their fragile legs being crushed under the weight of disproportionate bodies.

Open Cages, an animal welfare group, likens the artificial farming of these broiler breeds to a five-year-old child weighing 150kg - an unsustainable mass.

Campaigners - Letter - BBC - Springwatch - Presenter

The campaigners have sent an open letter - signed by the BBC Springwatch presenter - to the supermarket's chief executive slamming this 'painful' production method.

But their condemnation came as Tesco announced a more ethical and affordable range of chicken will soon be hitting its shelves.

Titan - 'We - Range - Welfare - Product

The retail titan said: 'We will be extending the range to include a higher welfare product, including more indoor chicken.

'It will meet all points of the Commitment and our aim is to make it more affordable.'

Cages - Announcement - Stunt - Tesco - Better

Open Cages dismissed the announcement as a stunt by Tesco to avoid signing the Better Chicken Commitment and promise to stock products which use minimum standards of farming.

The group tweeted: 'Tesco has responded by announcing they will introduce some higher welfare indoor reared chicken.

'This - Tesco - NOT - Better - Chicken

'This means that Tesco will NOT sign the Better Chicken Commitment - continuing to put chickens through miserable and painful lives.'

Some 25 vets joined Packham in calling out Tesco for allegedly...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Mail Online
Wake Up To Breaking News!
I love to post, but I never read the article!