Rare Roman mosaic depicting mythical chariot race for Greek princess uncovered in Berkshire village

Mail Online | 9/1/2019 | Harry Howard For Mailonline
MandyixusMandyixus (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2019/09/01/16/17940162-0-image-a-18_1567350932961.jpg

A Roman mosaic depicting a mythical chariot race has been fully uncovered in a Berkshire village - and it could be one of Britain's most exciting archaeological discoveries.

The 1,600-year-old mosaic, which was found in Boxford in 2017 but only fully uncovered recently, is one of only three of its kind in the world and is 'totally unknown' in Britain, experts said.

Chariot - Race - Figure - Pelops - Hand

It depicts a chariot race involving Greek mythological figure Pelops, who is racing to win the hand of love interest Princess Hippodamia.

Archaeologist Matt Nichol, who worked on the dig, said the imagery and iconography on the mosaic, which is siz metres long, was 'second to none'.

Buzz - Excitement - Project - Project

He said: 'There's a real buzz and excitement on this project, I've never seen that before on any project that I've worked on.'

Those who worked on the dig were mainly volunteers from the Boxford History Project.

Mosaic - Field - Village - Years - Soil

The mosaic was found in a field in the village two years ago but was then re-covered with soil to allow farmers to use the field.

Joy Appleton, the group's chairman, told MailOnline: 'In 10 days only, the volunteers managed to clear the entire mosaic area.

'We - Passion - Heritage - Britain - Thing

'We have a passion for understanding our heritage and this is totally unknown in Britain. It is a rare thing.'

On Saturday, the group held an open day for members of the public to view the find and Ms Appleton said there had been more interest than she expected.

'We - People

'We had nearly 3,000 people turn up,' she...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Mail Online
Wake Up To Breaking News!