David Oyelowo on Navigating Blumhouse’s Twisty Time-Travel Thriller, ‘Don’t Let Go’

Collider | 8/30/2019 | Christina Radish
Click For Photo: http://cdn.collider.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/08/dont-let-go-david-oyelowo-04-600x428.jpg

From writer/director Jacob Estes, the Blumhouse Productions film Don’t Let Go is a supernatural thriller that is also a unique exploration of how far we’ll go for those that we love and how the bond of family will teach us what we’re capable of. When LAPD detective Jack Radcliff (David Oyelowo, who is also a producer on the film) gets a shocking phone call from his recently murdered niece Ashley (Storm Reid), they must work together across time to solve her murder and try to save her life.

During this 1-on-1 phone interview with Collider, actor David Oyelowo talked about the reaction he had to this script, why he also wanted to get involved as a producer and have a hand in the final product, the changes that were made along the way, what most impresses him about the Blumhouse model for filmmaking, why Storm Reid was the perfect co-star, and playing the emotional truth of every moment instead of getting tangled up in the time travel of it all. He also talked about his directorial debut The Water Man, how he connected to that story, and his creative relationship with Oprah Winfrey, who’s producing the film, as well as why he’s looking forward to working with George Clooney on Good Morning, Midnight.

Collider - Story - Way - Script - Aspects

Collider: This is a really interesting and unusual story, in the way that it’s told. When you first read this script, what were the aspects that most appealed to you and most stuck out for you?

DAVID OYELOWO: Yeah, exactly what you just said was how I felt. In a world of prequels, sequels, remakes, and all of that stuff, it felt like a genuinely new and fresh story. And I felt that me, plus that story, was also gonna be fresh and new, to be able to look at...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Collider
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Would you let a person who could only get a government job run your life? Well don't!