I Am Mother: When Your Childhood Faith Feels False

Think Christian | 8/29/2019 | Staff
Click For Photo: https://thinkchristian-webassets.imgix.net/articleImages/2019/I-Am-Mother-craft.png?crop=focalpoint&fit=crop&fp-x=0.5&fp-y=0.5&h=500&ixlib=php-1.1.0&q=80&w=800&s=973b5f4c3b6f6765bf75ceb1b719bbfd

Netflix’s I Am Mother is a post-apocalyptic movie set in a world where humans are on the brink of extinction. A robot named Mother raises a girl simply named Daughter from a fetus in a bunker, safe from the dangerous outside world. Daughter faces many challenges as she grows into maturity and in the process her moral upbringing is put to the test. Although the film is speculative science-fiction, it offered something I could relate to as a young woman who grew up in a religious home.

My parents taught me how I should behave and what I should believe. However, it wasn’t until I became an adult and left my quiet town (where most people believed the same things I did) that I really began to analyze what I’d been raised to think. I met many people who presented different points of views and some made me question what I’d been taught. I was confused. Who should I believe: my parents or my peers?

Mother - Rose - Byrne - Daughter - Clara

In I Am Mother, Mother (voiced by Rose Byrne) educates Daughter (Clara Rugaard) on many things, including history and science. But she also tests Daughter on what to do in morally compromising situations, prompting the girl to be sacrificial,...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Think Christian
Wake Up To Breaking News!
An enemy of death and destruction