Extinction Rebellion has landed in Santa Cruz | Michael Levy

Santa Cruz Sentinel | 8/26/2019 | Michael Levy
kshama-s (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://www.santacruzsentinel.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/09/SCS-placeholder.jpg

Local climate activist groups are organizing massive public participation in global climate strikes on two Fridays next month, Sept. 20 and Sept. 27, with demonstrations planned during the week between. In solidarity with the Global Youth Strike, led by 16-year-old Nobel Prize nominee Greta Thunberg, Extinction Rebellion (XR) groups around the world will be engaging in actions on these Fridays, and throughout the week, including XR Santa Cruz.

Extinction Rebellion is the loose group of thousands that “took over” London last spring, and successfully pressured the British Parliament to declare a state of climate emergency. Declarations in Ireland, Canada and France followed, along with the organization of democratic Citizens Assemblies to oversee transitions to carbon-neutral goals.

Loss - Hundreds - Thousands - Plant - Animal

Mourning the loss of hundreds of thousands of plant, animal and insect species gone and threatened by the climate crisis, XR Santa Cruz has joined people around the world protesting against the forces driving us toward extinction. Last month, XR Santa Cruz led a New Orleans-style funeral march for species that ended with a human “Die-In” on the steps of the county building, and delivery of a letter to Congressman Jimmy Panetta demanding a US declaration of climate emergency. (Panetta since signed onto the joint congressional emergency resolution).

As Thunberg has said, “Our house is on fire … [And] adults keep saying: ‘We owe it to the young people to give them hope.’ But I don’t want your hope. I want you to panic. I want you to feel the fear I feel every day. And then I want you to act. I want you to act as you would in a crisis. I want you to act as if our house is on fire. Because it is.”

Years - Unwillingness - Evidence - Heating - Threat

Given 50 years of governmental unwillingness to respond to conclusive scientific evidence that global heating is a direct threat to...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Santa Cruz Sentinel
Wake Up To Breaking News!