I see Fox News is big mad about abolishing the electoral college.— Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (@AOC) August 23, 2019
So let’s talk about it.
1) If the GOP were the “silent majority” they claim, they wouldn’t be so scared of a popular vote.
They *know* they aren’t the majority. They rely on establishing minority rule for power.
2) This common claim about “if we don’t have the Electoral College then a handful of states will determine the presidency” is BS.— Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (@AOC) August 23, 2019
a. It’s the *EC itself* that breaks down power by state, pop vote decentralizes it
b. The EC makes it so a handful of states DO determine elections
3) LASTLY, this concept that the Electoral College is provides “fairness” to rural Americans over coastal states doesn’t hold any water whatsoever. First of all, virtually every state has rural communities. NY. California. Much of our states are rural.— Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (@AOC) August 23, 2019
But very importantly...
4) We do not give electoral affirmative action to any other group in America. Do Black Americans have their votes count more bc they have been disenfranchised for 100s of years? Do Reservations get an electoral vote? Does Puerto Rico and US territories get them? No. They don’t.— Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (@AOC) August 23, 2019
5) The Electoral College isn’t about fairness at all; it’s about empowering some voters over others.— Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (@AOC) August 23, 2019
Every vote should be = in America, no matter who you are or where you come from. The right thing to do is establish a Popular Vote. & GOP will do everything they can to fight it.
Dear Imbecile,— RBe (@RBPundit) August 25, 2019
What part of the United STATES do you not understand?
Everyone’s vote is equal... IN THEIR STATE.
We DO NOT HAVE national elections. It’s BY STATE, you mental midget. https://t.co/MbM0w74Yq4