What Are Our Children Listening to?

Biblical Counseling Coalition | 8/26/2019 | Charles Ware
Zorra (Posted by) Level 4
Click For Photo: http://www.biblicalcounselingcoalition.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/08/BlogPic-8.26.2019.png

The recent mass shootings in El Paso, Texas and Dayton, Ohio have sparked a national conversation about white nationalists, immigration, and hate. Can we address this crisis in a way that distinguishes the color of one’s skin from their sinful hearts and actions? Our children are listening to our conversations.

Counseling happens in unexpected places, at unexpected times, with unexpected counselees. From the White House to the schoolhouse to the church—children are listening. From our living rooms to our kitchen tables to the backseats of our cars—children are listening!

Humanity - Minds - Children - Conversations

What images of humanity are being planted in the minds of our children who are listening to our conversations?

Are Black and Brown Bad?

Child - Relationship - Grandfather - Profession - Love

A child from an interracial relationship struggles with her grandfather’s profession of love for her while regularly describing people who look like her in derogatory terms. A woman shares how, as a child, she lived in a segregated neighborhood. A spouse’s father continually says dehumanizing things about his wife, who happens to be of a different complexion from his family. She is a humble, mature Christian.

Are black and brown bad? We must watch how we speak and how we respond to the speech of others. Our conversations must distinguish one’s color from their sinful hearts and actions. Our children are listening.

Ashamed - Being - White

Ashamed of Being White?

A few years ago, a teenager said to me after a discussion in class, “this is the first time in my life when I can say I am not ashamed of being white.” She explained that at a younger age, she had said she was “white and proud” only to be called a racist. Her white parents were church planters in a primarily black neighborhood, and black people comprised the vast majority of the church members.

Context - Peers - Racist

Yes, there is a historical context for her peers calling her racist, but...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Biblical Counseling Coalition
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Is it real news?? or MSM news??
Tagged: