Thick smoke chokes Brazil's north as Amazon fires rage

phys.org | 8/24/2019 | Staff
ditranian (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://scx2.b-cdn.net/gfx/news/2019/aburntareaof.jpg

Blackened tree trunks lay smoldering on the charred ground as thick smoke chokes the Amazon rainforest in Brazil, a scene of devastation that is being repeated across the "lungs of the planet."

In the northwestern state of Rondonia—one of the hardest hit areas by the worst fires in years—people are living under a blanket of smoke that has enveloped the remote region.

Years - Lot - Fires - Smoke - Days

"I've lived here for 20 years and I've seen a lot of fires, but this smoke in recent days, I've never seen anything like that before," Welis da Claiana, 25, told AFP in the capital Porto Velho.

"The smoke has affected 100 percent of our daily lives. We wake up tired from breathing the smoke."

Da - Claiana - Fires - Days - Car

Da Claiana says the fires in recent days had even threatened the car hire company where she works and forced the cancellation of flights at the local airport.

"Visibility was horrible, no one could do anything," she said, blaming "big farmers" for the blazes.

Point - Fires - Home - Doors - Windows

At one point, the fires began closing in on her home. She shut the doors and windows in an attempt to keep out the smoke, but she still ended up having to rush...
(Excerpt) Read more at: phys.org
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Tagged: