Warriors as Exemplars of Faith

Juicy Ecumenism | 8/18/2019 | Guest Writer
jesse456 (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://juicyecumenism.com/wp-content/uploads/Gideon.jpg

The Revised Common Lectionary of August 18, 2019, has several lessons on the nature of war.

The Lectionary is the fruit of collaboration between the North American Consultation on Common Texts (CCT) and the International English Language Liturgical Consultation (ELLC) to provide common bible readings in worship. It reflects the work of the US and Canadian Conferences of Catholic Bishops, Episcopalians, Anglicans, and also some Lutherans, Presbyterians and Methodists. It also reflects interaction with the Orthodox churches, and thus represents an attempt at common liturgy between a very wide range of Christians.

Cycle - Lectionary - Readings - Drawn - Old

Over a three-year cycle, the Lectionary provides common readings to be read at worship drawn from the Old Testament, the Psalms, the New Testament in general, and the Gospels (including in Roman Catholic and Episcopal/Anglican Churches those books sometimes referred to as the Apocrypha or deuterocanonical books). This combination of readings is the fruit of long reflection and seeks to tie together common themes. Sometimes the commonality of the threads can be hard to discern, at others it shows itself only after careful re-reading.

On August 18, there was a clear thread that addressed and commended conflict.

Reading - Jeremiah - Jeremiah - Prophets - Fulsome

In the first reading, Jeremiah 23:23-29, Jeremiah condemns false prophets in fulsome terms, and concludes “What has straw in common with wheat? says the LORD. Is not my word like fire, says the LORD, and like a hammer that breaks a rock in pieces.”

The Gospel is likewise ferocious. In Luke 12:49-56, Jesus proclaims “I came to bring fire to the earth, and how I wish it were already kindled! I have a baptism with which to be baptized, and what stress I am under until it is completed! Do you think that I have come to bring peace to the earth? No, I tell...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Juicy Ecumenism
Wake Up To Breaking News!