How to Raise a Confident Daughter

Ann Voskamp | 8/23/2019 | Staff
rubydrummer (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://live.staticflickr.com/2854/10566864283_14e0a3a182_b_d.jpg

Come with me to January 1, 2018. Happy New Year!

I had officially spent the last five weeks of my life eating all the things at Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Year’s, and all the cells in my body were screaming, “Stop eating cookies!”

Okay - Fine - Decade - Let - Whirl

“Okay, fine,” I say. It’s been awhile (like a decade) since I’ve tried to be on a diet, so let’s give it another whirl.

Out goes the sugar, the dairy, the grains, and anything processed, and for fourteen days I ate almost nothing but fruits and vegetables.

Something

But something happened that I did not expect.

I shot right back to seventh grade. I became obsessed all over again with my jean size, the mirror, the scale, and calories.

Things - God - Control - Battle - Him

All the things I had fought so hard with God to gain control over, the battle to focus on Him instead of fat content and calorie count—all went out the window. An old addiction rose up in me once more, and I couldn’t believe it.

One decade of godly confidence was threatened by fourteen days of dieting.

Day - My - Soul - Emotions - Body

On day fifteen, I decided it wasn’t worth it. My soul and my emotions could not handle what my body was doing.

In had come the comparison, the body analysis, the feeling guilty over every single bite, and I knew it was time for me to stop.

Dieting - Loss - Grips - Freedom - Food

I had to mentally and spiritually detox myself from the dieting and weight loss, and I had to once more come to grips with why freedom in food is so important for my God centered confidence.

A month later, I still found myself eating only a half slice of pizza for dinner and feeling guilty over any “unhealthy” bit of food, and finally I had had it! I had to do something drastic.

Where had my perspective gone, and how did it leave so fast?

The choices...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Ann Voskamp
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Tagged: