Six Ways to Make the Most out of Counseling

Biblical Counseling Coalition | 8/23/2019 | Rick Thomas
MysticHeart (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: http://www.biblicalcounselingcoalition.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/08/BlogPic-8.23.19-new.png

If your heart’s desire is to change as you participate in counseling, I want to provide you with six principles to consider before you embark on what I hope is a transformative journey. Without knowing these essential elements about life change, you may be disappointed by your experience in counseling and could miss what the Lord is writing into your life (Gen. 50:20).

Before Jesus said these words to the crowd that was following Him, He told them if they did not die, they could not be His disciples (Luke 14:27). And even before He said that, He told them they must hate their fathers, mothers, brothers, sisters, and even hate their lives if they wanted to follow Him (Luke 14:26). Nothing has changed since that time.

Game - Rules - Are - Dreams - Hopes

We must continue to play the game by His rules. Are you ready to die? Are you willing to die to all your dreams, hopes, and aspirations? Death to self is not my idea. Those are the words of Jesus. He did not come to earth to find and enjoy the best marriage, exceptional children, or the most money.

Quite the contrary. Jesus came to die, and the only way you can find what you are looking for—which is peace with God, yourself, and others—is through the same death portal.

Assess - Do - Means

Assess Yourself: Are you ready to die to yourself? Do you know what dying to yourself means?

Too often, people go to counseling for the wrong reasons. Most of the time, the aim is simple: “I want my situation to change.” They do not count the costs; they are not even aware of them. It was the will of the Lord to kill His Son (Isa. 53:10). And it was the will of the Lord to give Paul a depressing thorn in his flesh, one that He never...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Biblical Counseling Coalition
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Tagged: