NY Democrats In A Civil War Over… Pizza?

Hot Air | 8/22/2019 | Staff
cv2angels (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://hotair.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/deBlasioCuomo.jpg

The war between Gov. Andrew Cuomo and Mayor Bill de Blasio just got saucy.

Cuomo threw a pie in the mayor’s face Wednesday — saying that if hizzoner wants his favorite Brooklyn pizza joint, Di Fara, open again he can pony up the $167,000 in unpaid state taxes the place owes himself.

Authority - State - Taxes - Cuomo - Behalf

“He has no legal authority to forgive state taxes,” Cuomo said. “Now, if he wants to pay the $200,000 on behalf of the pizza place, he can do that. That’s fine. And if he wants to get $200,000 worth of pizza, that’s his business. But he can’t forgive state taxes.”

He then added: “I’m not going to pay $200,000 for their pizza, even if it’s very good pizza.”

Cuomo - Battle - Blasio - Demands - Way

Cuomo probably wouldn’t have waded into this battle had de Blasio not made his demands in a very public way on Twitter.

You’ll rarely see me taking Andrew Cuomo’s side on much of anything, but he’s definitely in the right here. The Mayor has really stuck his foot in his mouth on this issue for a couple of reasons.

First - Government - Business - Winners - Losers

First of all, the government isn’t supposed to be in the business of picking winners and losers in the free market. (Yes, I know they do it all the time in Washington but that doesn’t make it right.) For the Mayor of the city to go out and declare that one particular business is superior to all the others should be an actionable offense.

And even if that were not the case, Bill de Blasio is making a...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Hot Air
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Settled law: one party can't change a contract. Now if the Government, citizens and the Consstitution...