What I Learned from Visiting Paul’s Prison Cell

The Aquila Report | 8/23/2019 | Staff
ashb0101 (Posted by) Level 3
I’ve read 2 Timothy many times, but after visiting the prison where Paul penned this letter, the words now seem to jump off the pages. The letter carries a weight I had never before noticed. In it, Paul sheds light on suffering and how we must view our trials as believers in Christ. We are guaranteed to have suffering on this side of eternity, but many people struggle to understand their trials in relation to a just and loving God.

As I walked down the stairs, I was chilled by the dampness of the cell. This was a place of darkness, hopelessness, and death. A place where men who were going to be killed were chained to a wall, sitting in their own filth, waiting for the executioner to come and end their life.

Place - Paul - Book - Timothy—a - Book

It was in this unlikely place that Paul wrote a book to his beloved Timothy—a book filled with vast amounts of wisdom; a message of light, hope, and eternal life to all who would believe.

I’ve read 2 Timothy many times, but after visiting the prison where Paul penned this letter, the words now seem to jump off the pages. The letter carries a weight I had never before noticed.

Paul - Light - Suffering - Trials - Believers

In it, Paul sheds light on suffering and how we must view our trials as believers in Christ. We are guaranteed to have suffering on this side of eternity, but many people struggle to understand their trials in relation to a just and loving God.

Paul’s words in his second letter to Timothy offer seven lessons that point us to a hope in suffering that is grounded in the truth of the gospel.

Paul - Apostle - Christ - Jesus - God

Paul, an apostle of Christ Jesus by the will of God according to the promise of life that is in Christ Jesus, (2 Tim. 1:1).

The promise of life. A...
(Excerpt) Read more at: The Aquila Report
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Tagged: