Transgender hate crimes are on the rise in Canada

phys.org | 6/10/2019 | Staff
Click For Photo: https://scx2.b-cdn.net/gfx/news/hires/2019/1-transgender.jpg

Canada has a good reputation for LGBTQ rights. Federal political leaders, including Prime Minister Justin Trudeau and federal NDP Leader Jagmeet Singh, attend pride parades across the country. But a rising tide of violence against transgender people raises the question: what will Canada do to protect trans and nonbinary people from targeted violence?

I am a security and surveillance doctoral researcher and recently received a Pierre Elliot Trudeau Foundation scholarship to further look into anti-transgender trolls and digital vigilantes.

Level - Hostility - Year - Half - Woman

On a personal level, the hostility I've faced in the year and a half of transitioning as a trans woman has been immense. I've been aggressively harassed several times on Ottawa streets. I'm subject to constant weird looks, angry glares and misgendering. For these reasons, I battle anxiety as I leave my apartment, obsessing with how I look. If I look out of place it might provoke someone to lash out. This vortex of hostility and fear makes it challenging for me to trust strangers in my own community.

Our institutions and public spaces have historically ignored the basic rights and dignity of trans folk. At best, we are invisible in our institutions and in the daily grind of most Canadian lives, at worst, we are subject to hatred, suspicion and disgust.

July - Statistics - Canada - Crime - Statistics

On July 22, Statistics Canada published police-reported nationwide crime statistics for 2018. The report includes a table on hate crime that includes sexual orientation. Although the "gender identity and expression" category was recently adopted in the federal hate speech legislation, it does it not have its own category in the charts for the official Statistics Canada report. Statistics Canada says those hate crimes are reported as "transgender" and "agender" but gets put into the "other" category within "sex."

Before the new wording in the legislation, police had not kept an official record on the...
(Excerpt) Read more at: phys.org
Wake Up To Breaking News!