What books have most profoundly shaped how you serve and lead others for the sake of the gospel?

The Gospel Coalition | 7/14/2019 | Ivan Mesa,Costi W. Hinn
reantes (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://media.thegospelcoalition.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/08/06180553/lightstock_245456_medium_tgc-copy.jpg

On My Shelf helps you get to know various writers through a behind-the-scenes glimpse into their lives as readers.

I asked Costi Hinn—a pastor at Redeemer Bible Church in Gilbert, Arizona, and the author of God, Greed, and the (Prosperity) Gospel—about what’s on his nightstand, books he re-reads, books that have most influenced his thinking about ministry, and more.

Nightstand

What’s on your nightstand right now?

What are your favorite fiction books?

Fiction - Years - Course - Pilgrim - Progress

I haven’t read fiction in years but really need to mix it up. One that sticks out, of course, is Pilgrim’s Progress by John Bunyan.

What biographies or autobiographies have most influenced you and why?

Biographies - Adoniram - Judson - Sacrifice - Burmese

I love missionary biographies but don’t want to write too much here, so I will pick one. Adoniram Judson’s sacrifice as a missionary to the Burmese affected my life and our home deeply. It sparked numerous conversations and triggered my heart to pray something I had never prayed before: that if it be the Lord’s will, my children would be called to the mission field for the glory of God. As painful and sacrificial as the life of a missionary may be, the eternal effect is far beyond anything this world can offer.

To the Golden Shore by Courtney Anderson is a powerful biography of Judson’s life, along with his three wives, Ann, Sarah, and Emily. Ann died, then he married Sarah who also died, before he married Emily just a short time before his own death. Each of his wives played an integral role in furthering the mission of God to the Burmese and beyond. His life was one of immense sacrifice, but the Judsons are the reason the Burmese people were reached with the gospel and provided with biblical texts in their own language. Judson’s biography is also available on Amazon Prime Video. I highly recommend it.

What are some...
(Excerpt) Read more at: The Gospel Coalition
Wake Up To Breaking News!