Why aren’t more Catholics having church weddings? Maybe because of things like this.

The Deacon's Bench | 8/21/2019 | Staff
cute16 (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://wp-media.patheos.com/blogs/sites/56/2013/11/catholic-wedding-songs-2.jpg

A lot of clergy will tell you that Catholics aren’t receiving the sacraments like they used to. Baptisms and weddings, in particular, are down. Why? Well, if you want an understanding of why more Catholics don’t want to get married in church, read this from my friend Gerard Nadal, who posted this rant on Facebook:

In discussing our wedding 27 years ago, tomorrow, Regina and I looked at what the Church of St. Vincent Ferrer in NYC was charging these days. (It was $500 for us back then.) They are now requesting 10% of the total cost of the wedding day (Florist, reception, etc…) or a minimum of $2,200. This does not include the $750 for the organist and singer. Then I noticed this gem:

Occasions - Couple - Wedding - Example - Couple

“There are occasions when a couple would be well-advised to have a simple wedding ceremony—for example, if the couple is elderly; when it is a second marriage for either party; or when the couple is cohabiting. A simple ceremony as such can be held in a beautiful side chapel of the church that accommodates up to 25 people. In cases of small weddings, the parish leaves the amount of the offering to the discretion of the couple. There need be no music at small weddings, though this remains possible to arrange.”

I have heard all of the horror stories from priest friends about the completely unchurched showing up half-naked (the women), drunk, irreverent, etc… at weddings. And I get how bad it is. I truly do. These policies mentioned above are for the parishioners who have already been screened, and it is abusive in every respect.

Sacrament - Sacrament - People - Age - Couple

The sacrament is the sacrament, regardless of people’s age, or whether a cohabiting couple has humbled themselves and is now entering into God’s design, albeit later than they should have. And if it...
(Excerpt) Read more at: The Deacon's Bench
Wake Up To Breaking News!