Maybe “Left Behind” Was Right…

Nomad | 8/21/2019 | Staff
Traight (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://wp-media.patheos.com/blogs/sites/430/2019/08/Screen-Shot-2019-08-21-at-12.04.15-PM.png

Click For Photo: https://wp-media.patheos.com/blogs/sites/430/2019/08/Screen-Shot-2019-08-21-at-11.46.53-AM-3.png

I grew up in a brand of Christianity that centered around the belief that Jesus was coming back in the near future and that the Church would be taken off the earth and spared from the judgement of God that will be poured out on the world once Christ returned. The thinking was that Jesus first came as the Lamb of God, slain for the world, but when he returned, he would the Lion of Judah, the conquering king who would defeat Satan once and for all and create a renewed world of justice and peace.

This stream of theology- known as “dispensationalism” and “pre-millennialism”- was popularized among Evangelicals by two Christian fiction author Tim LaHaye and Jerry Jenkins who penned a series of books called “Left Behind”, which told the story of what the end of the world would look like as the events prophecied in the Book of Revelation played out in the world. The “Left Behind” stories became the backbone of much of the preaching in American Evangelical churches, and convinced thousands of people to buy into what was previously a fairly obscure version of “eschatology” (theology of the end of the world).

Faith - Theology - Left - Behind - Understanding

As I have grown and my faith has evolved, I quickly came to realize that the theology I learned from “Left Behind” was toxic and ultimately not rooted in a historically rooted understanding of the writings in the Book of Revelation. This theology centered fear of God’s judgement coming at any moment that caused me unimaginable anxiety as a young boy, who literally would panic whenever I heard a car horn sound, because this theology believed that a great Archangel would sound a trumpet at the moment Jesus was returning to bring judgement.

This theology has also allowed Evangelicals to be lackadaisical in their approach to justice...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Nomad
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the Word of God.
Tagged: