Could I Attend a Calvinist Church?

Roger E. Olson | 8/20/2019 | Staff
DebraS (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://wp-media.patheos.com/blogs/sites/21/2017/01/steeple-812885_640_opt.jpg

Could I Attend a Calvinist Church?

Now, what do I mean by “evangelical?” This evangelical Calvinistic church preaches the gospel of Jesus Christ and holds up the Bible as the ultimate and final authority for Christian faith and practice. This church emphasizes conversion, repentance and personal faith, and not relying solely on sacraments for salvation. It is involved in missions and evangelism and believes that the death of Jesus Christ, God the Son, is the only basis for salvation. In brief, the church is evangelical in the historical, classical sense (not the contemporary media-driven political sense).

Dilemma - Town - Church - Reason - Commute

My dilemma: I find myself living in a town where there is no other evangelical church than this one and, for whatever reason, cannot “commute” to some other location to attend a non-Calvinist evangelical church. Can I, a non-Calvinist, someone who has written a book entitled Against Calvinism, attend this church on a regular basis and worship there?

It depends.

Pastor - Congregation - Level - Church - Conditions

First, I would talk to the pastor and ask if I am welcome to attend and worship with the congregation. If he says yes then I would ask at what level I am welcome to teach and work in the church and under what conditions.

Second, I would tell the pastor in no uncertain terms that I am not a Calvinist and am strongly opposed to Calvinism although I do not consider it a heresy. And I would tell him that while I am attending the church and participating at whatever level he approves, I would not speak against Calvinism within the church, among the congregation. And that I would not criticize the congregation or its denomination although I would continue to criticize Calvinism in entirely other ways such as this blog.

Pastor - Conditions

If the pastor said that, under those conditions, I would be welcome to attend and worship with the...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Roger E. Olson
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Tagged: