Do You Lead Leaders or Lead Followers?

Ron Edmondson | 3/30/2017 | Ron Edmondson
jenny1246 (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: http://ronedmondson.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/follow-leader.jpg

In my leadership experience there are two kinds of leaders.

There are those who are willing to lead leaders.

Followers

And there are those who will only lead followers.

Some leaders refuse to be leaders of leaders. Sadly I have witnessed many pastors who fall into “follower only” category. They refuse to allow leaders to develop in the church. Perhaps their fear of losing control or power, being upstaged, or simply never learning the value of empowering others, causes them to keep laypeople from becoming leaders within the church.

Followers - Course - Leader - Followers - One

This is not to say we don’t need to lead followers, because of course we do. Every leader has followers or they would be no one to lead. Some of the best workers in an organization and, certainly in the church, are those who care nothing about leadership.

And I would say we don’t simply need leaders in the church – we need servant leaders. People who serve others expecting nothing in return are the best kinds of leaders and follow the example of Jesus.

Leader - Point - Propensity - Towards - Leadership

Also true, it is hard to be a good leader until one learns to follow. At some point, however, those with the propensity towards leadership in any organization will want an opportunity to lead. This is especially true of younger generations of people.

And when those who were once in a position of being a follower begin to lead the real leadership skills of the people in senior leadership are tested.

Deal - Leaders - Leaders - People - Organization

Here’s the deal. Leaders of leaders allow other people to develop in the organization. They give people freedom to dream and give people a sense of ownership. They let them determine the “how” in their area of responsibility.

More so, they recognize and even hold as a value that as leaders develop the entire organization advances and everyone wins.

Leader - Followers - Hand

Leader of followers, on the other hand,...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Ron Edmondson
Wake Up To Breaking News!