Three Ways to Connect with Your Kid at Any Phase

Parent Cue | 8/20/2019 | Kristen Ivy
tictac399 (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://i2.wp.com/theparentcue.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/08/3_ways_update.jpg?fit=1920,1080&ssl=1

Parenting humans can be unpredictable. Every kid is different and there are no formulas. It’s hard to anticipate everything.

So in a sense, you should anticipate not anticipating a few things.

Child

With my oldest child, I didn’t anticipate that . . .

he would learn to remove his diaper like a baby Houdini.

Toilet - Sister

he would try to pee into the toilet while his sister was sitting on it.

he would cut his sister’s hair while I thought they were both napping.

Moment - Representation - God - Love - Child—God

It was in that last moment when I realized I wasn’t going to be the best representation of God’s love to my child—God’s love is unconditional—my love has limits, and apparently it was his sister’s hair.

While we can’t anticipate some things, there is a list of things we can anticipate.

Anticipating

Think about this. Anticipating is looking ahead at what will probably happen and getting ready for it.

And when it comes to parenting, “getting them ready” for what will probably happen means having lots of conversations.

Conversations

Having conversations about what is happening while it’s happening so they know how to interpret what’s going on now.

And having conversations about what you know might happen before it happens—so they know how to respond later.

Challenge - Kids - Observers - Interpreters - Words

The challenge is that kids are keen observers, but poor interpreters. In other words, they may notice everything that happens, but fail to grasp the meaning.

Even up through high school, preteens and teens have a hard time deciphering a person’s motive for their behavior.

Years - Kids - Teenagers - Issues

That’s why in the growing-up years, kids and teenagers need us to talk about critical issues.

For example, if . . .

/ - TV - Remote—you

a two-year-old will find the iPad / or TV remote—you should talk about how to use it.

a kindergartner will likely try to eat school lunch pizza every day—you should talk about healthy food choices.

Schooler - Conflict - Friend—you

an elementary schooler will probably have a conflict with a friend—you...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Parent Cue
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Tagged: