Confessions of a Chinese Dreamer

ChristianityToday.com | 8/19/2019 | Staff
crazycool12crazycool12 (Posted by) Level 4
Click For Photo: https://www-images.christianitytoday.com/images/91798.jpg?w=1200

He summer of 2009 was one of the scariest times of my life. I should have been excited about heading to Northwestern University on a scholarship. Instead, I struggled to sleep. As a first-generation Chinese immigrant with a precarious immigration status, my future rested on my academic performance. I didn’t have safety nets if I fell short.

I was born in the historic city of Nanjing, China. My family was not particularly wealthy, but we were established in society and considered an “intellectual” clan.

Nothing - Learning - Belief - Education - Success

“Nothing is more important than learning,” declares an ancient Chinese saying, underscoring the pervasive Chinese belief that education is foundational to self-development and success. That pressure is heightened by intense competition among millions of students vying for limited spots at Chinese universities and prestigious universities abroad.

In fourth grade, I immigrated to the United States to join my mom, who had moved there five years earlier in 1994. My...
(Excerpt) Read more at: ChristianityToday.com
Wake Up To Breaking News!
You've go to put up with Free Speech to have Free Speech!