5 Years After Eric Garner’s Death, New York Police Department Fires Daniel Pantaleo

The Daily Signal | 8/19/2019 | Staff
maddyb7 (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://www.dailysignal.com/wp-content/uploads/GettyImages-1162625836-1024x532.jpg

New York City Police Commissioner James O’Neill announced Monday the New York City Police Department fired Daniel Pantaleo five years after his role in Eric Garner’s death.

The commissioner announced the police officer’s termination at a Monday press conference in New York City.

Victors - Today - O'Neill - Today - Day

“There are absolutely no victors here today,” O’Neill said. “Today is a day of reckoning but can also be a day of reconciliation.”

Pantaleo, 34, was put on desk duty after being accused of using a chokehold when arresting 43-year-old Garner in 2014.

Garner - Times - Pantaleo - Chokehold - New

Garner reportedly died after saying, “I can’t breathe,” eleven times as Pantaleo performed a chokehold on him, which is a tactic the New York Police Department does not allow, according to CNN.

Video footage reveals a motionless Garner lying on the ground after Pantaleo performed the chokehold, and police said Garner had a heart attack and died on the way to a nearby hospital. Garner’s death was ruled a homicide.

Decision - O'Neill - Monday - Police - Officers

“It was an extremely difficult decision,” O’Neill said Monday, adding that some police officers might be angered by the decision. “I’ve been a cop for a long time. If I was still a cop, I’d probably...
(Excerpt) Read more at: The Daily Signal
Wake Up To Breaking News!