Robert Morris’s Message from Prison: God Is Not Mad at You

ChurchLeaders | 8/19/2019 | Staff
ajoy26 (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://churchleaders-eszuskq0bptlfh8awbb.stackpathdns.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/08/robert-morris-coffield-unit.jpg

Gateway Church is continuing its work at Coffield prison in Anderson County, Texas. Robert Morris, Gateway’s senior pastor, preached a service last week at the men’s prison, where he emphasized that God’s heart is not to condemn sinners, but to show kindness by blessing us when we don’t deserve it.

“I hope it just starts dawning on you that God is not mad at you, that God actually wants to bless you, no matter what the world tells you about God,” said Pastor Morris.

Gateway - Church - Megachurch - Campus - Coffield

Gateway Church is a multisite megachurch that launched a campus in Coffield Unit in November 2018. The prison houses 4,000 inmates, including minimum, medium and maximum security offenders. Minimum security inmates are free to attend Gateway’s services as they will, and medium security offenders can attend on special occasions. Maximum security prisoners cannot attend services, but are allowed to receive materials from Gateway.

Morris began his sermon by telling the inmates how glad he was to be there: “I have been looking forward to this since we started this campus. I wanted to meet you.” He said that God had given him a message specifically for the incarcerated men, which he illustrated by describing the covenant God made with Abraham and the covenant David made with Jonathan, Saul’s son and David’s close friend.

Samuel - David - King - Israel - Saul

In 2 Samuel 9, after David had become king of Israel in Saul’s place, he asks if there is anyone still alive from Saul’s family to whom he can show kindness. There is one person: Mephibosheth, who is the son of Jonathan and who is lame. So David sends for Mephibosheth, tells him not be afraid, and promises to show him kindness for the rest of his life.

Morris explained that as a relative of the previous king (Saul), Mephibosheth had every reason to fear for...
(Excerpt) Read more at: ChurchLeaders
Wake Up To Breaking News!