George Whitefield: Don’t Leave Those Kids Alone

ChurchLeaders | 8/18/2019 | Staff
Click For Photo: https://churchleaders-eszuskq0bptlfh8awbb.stackpathdns.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/08/8.19.HOME_.CC.DontLeaveKidsAlone.jpg

This, it seems to me, also ought to be one of the important goals for preachers in our day. Ministers should strive to both preach the Word to a diversity of people groups as well as to our children in the context of the local church. In this post, I wish to focus particularly on the latter group, as it seems as though we have lost something of the importance of having our children under the influence of the ministry of the preached Word in our context.

My parents kept my sister and me in the worship service from birth. I grew up in a Reformed Episcopalian church (think Presbyterians with a prayer book), as well as in a number of Reformed Presbyterian churches. I only remember the content of one sermon from my early childhood. A pastor in a small Presbyterian church outside of Philadelphia was preaching on a passage about the triumphal entry. In the middle of the sermon, he emphatically declared, “This was God on the donkey! This was God going to the cross to die for sinners like us!” For whatever reason, the Holy Spirit caused that to stick out in my young mind. When I was 15, I started acting out the depravity of my heart in my rebellion against the Lord. I went to church a few times in my late teens, while living in deep, dark rebellion. It was on one of those occasions that I distinctly remember sitting under a sermon on 1 John 1:6: “If we say that we have fellowship with Him while we walk in darkness, we lie and do not practice the truth.” Those words cut me to the heart. Though I wasn’t converted for another 6 years, God used that in my conversion. I began knowing then that...
(Excerpt) Read more at: ChurchLeaders
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Tagged: