Kevin Bacon Doesn’t Think He’s a Movie Star — and He’s a Better Actor For It

IndieWire | 8/18/2019 | Staff
Click For Photo: https://www.indiewire.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/08/COAH_108_0602_R.jpg

Living inside a dark, violent world will take a toll on anyone, even when it’s just one part of your life — or a part, among many.

“I was having really bad dreams on ‘The Following,'” Kevin Bacon said, remembering his three-season stint leading the Fox serial killer drama. “Part of that was the fact that I was so inundated with violence every day I went to work. I was killing somebody, somebody was killing me, I was using guns, knives, fighting, and that kind of caught up to me. It was a dark **** place to go to.”

Bacon - Waters - Showtime - City - Hill

Bacon dove into treacherous waters yet again with Showtime’s “City on a Hill,” an hourlong drama set to wrap its first season Sunday, August 18. Starring as the Boston-based FBI Agent Jackie Rohr, the Golden Globe-winning actor is immersed in the dirty life of a crooked cop: He plants evidence, steals drugs, takes bribes, uses drugs, drinks anything with liquor in it, and brandishes his badge like a billy club. When it’s casually mentioned that Jackie has shades of darkness in him, Bacon cut in and said, “Shades?”

“The things Jackie does… he’s got real blood on his hands,” Bacon said. “Besides broken hearts and ruining people’s careers, he says it: ‘I’m a bad guy. I treat everyone the same: Bad.'”

Bacon - Actor - Cast - Crew - Character

Bacon isn’t a method actor. He doesn’t ask his cast and crew to call him by his character’s name between takes, but he tries to “use myself and lose myself” in each job. That means he wants to bring his own feelings and physicality into the role — “What else am I going to use?” — but Bacon doesn’t want to be thinking about himself, or his image, while the cameras are rolling.

“I want to lose myself in it. I want the time between...
(Excerpt) Read more at: IndieWire
Wake Up To Breaking News!