Iñárritu, Pawlikowski receive honorary awards as Sarajevo opens 25h edition

Screen | 8/17/2019 | Vladan Petkovic
Click For Photo: https://d1nslcd7m2225b.cloudfront.net/Pictures/2000x2000fit/0/9/2/1308092_sarajevoopening_431281.jpg

The 25th Sarajevo Film Festival (SFF) opened last night with a ceremony at the city’s National Theatre, during which Alejandro González Iñárritu and Pawel Pawlikowski received honorary Heart of Sarajevo awards.

After a short video which counterpointed footage of the shelling of Sarajevo during the siege in 1995 (when the festival took place for the first time) with images of celebratory fireworks that traditionally take place at midnight of the opening night, young Bosnian actor Igor Skvarica took to the stage to host the ceremony.

Introduction - Festival - Skvarica - Year - SFF

Following his short introduction when he discussed how he grew up with and was strongly influenced by the festival, Skvarica highlighted that this year’s SFF will screen 270 films from 56 countries across 18 sections, out of which 68 will enjoy their world premieres. Then he invited festival director and founder Miro Purivatrato the stage.

“Good evening and welcome to the Heart of Sarajevo tonight,” said Purivatra. “Tonight we mark and celebrate a small but important anniversary, 25 years of the festival.

War - Reasons - Lives - Citizens - Years

“The past war is, for many different reasons, still very present in the lives of our fellow citizens, so it wouldn’t be wrong to say that we are celebrating 25 years of the end of the siege of Sarajevo and the war in our country. Launching the festival 25 years ago, we were very emotional, very enthusiastic, and we wanted to please and amuse this city, hoping to bring back the life as it was before the war. So we offered what we were good at: to make a film festival.

“Here we are, many years later. The festival has grown into something meaningful not only for our audiences but, I hope, for all film professionals in Southeast Europe. Before we proceed with the ceremony, I want to thank our guests from all over the globe who...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Screen
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Drove my Ford to the fjord, but the fjord was dry. . .