On Being More Than Just Enough

(in)courage | 8/17/2019 | Staff
jenny1246 (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://www.incourage.me/wp/wp-content/uploads/2019/08/081219_Raybon_KnowAndWalk.jpg

I’m lying flat on my back on a yoga mat. It’s purple and pretty, spread out on a flat roof atop a mountain-resort lodge in Colorado — altitude 7,500 feet. So, I’m out of my territory. Colorado’s my home state, yet the resort is upscale and cool. Plus, everybody around me is younger — by decades, for some of them. Yoga, meantime, is something I’ve never really tried – not even “Christian” yoga at our church. Even more, rooftop yoga feels high on the hog, and I’m here at this retreat only by the skin of my teeth – only because God set me to be invited, even though I don’t totally fit. But do any of us? Totally fit? In every setting?

In many ways, we don’t. As 1 Chronicles 29:15 reminds us, “We are foreigners and strangers in your sight, as were all our ancestors.” Thus, this world is not our home. We, indeed, are “foreigners and exiles,” as Peter reminded early Christians, especially those suffering persecution.

Truth - Home - Yoga - Instructor - Cute

That truth hits home when the yoga instructor – an impossibly cute young woman with cool, spiky hair and even cooler yoga clothes – invites our group to lay on our backs, arms at our sides, on the pretty purple mats.

Immediately, I feel vulnerable — especially when she tells us to close our eyes and think of all the negative things ever said about us. A strange request? It felt even stranger when, without much effort, I seem to recall almost every nasty putdown and ugly name ever pounded or thrown my way.

Reply - Jesus - Name - Prayer - Plea

My reply? “Jesus!” I whisper His beautiful name. It’s a prayer and a plea all at once. Then, however, the yoga lady invites us to release those putdowns. Then, in their place, she invites us to recall all the positive things...
(Excerpt) Read more at: (in)courage
Wake Up To Breaking News!