Apple Puts the AR in 'Art' (and in 'Transparent Sky-Being')

WIRED | 8/16/2019 | Peter Rubin
Claw987Claw987 (Posted by) Level 4
Click For Photo: https://media.wired.com/photos/5d5476f541c7640008ca5a05/191:100/pass/Culture_Apple_Today-at-Apple-ART_ART-Walk-Cao-Fei_073019.jpg

Thanks to a hot desert air mass stalling over San Francisco, the sky was a fogless blue, which made the words stand out even more as they floated upwards past St. Patrick Church in downtown San Francisco. White and uppercase, they rose in perfectly justified blocks, the voice of artist and poet John Giorno intoning them in my headphones: "A vast dome of blue sky / and your mind / is an iron nail in between." On and on, the uppermost words breaking up and floating away, a Star Wars crawl of Buddhist introspection.

It was breathtaking for its scale—each word was dozens of feet high—yet the lunchtime crowds in Yerba Buena Gardens didn't even notice. The only people who seemed as rapt as I was, in fact, were the three who were pointing an iPhone XS Plus in the same direction I was and wearing Beats headphones identical to mine. All that Apple was no coincidence: Giorno's piece, Now at the Dawn of My Life, was one of six pieces in the company's [AR]T Walk, an augmented-reality public art walking tour that launched this week.

AR - Objects - Surroundings - Museums - Artists

AR, in which virtual objects are integrated into your real-world surroundings, has been embraced by museums and artists (conventional and guerrilla) dating back nearly a decade, and AR- and VR-specific exhibits have been popping up with ever more regularity. Much of that is because AR is easier to build and implement than ever before: Android and iOS feature AR development toolkits that have improved significantly since their 2017 introductions, and Facebook turned its Camera Effects platform into a similar toolkit called Spark AR.

But while all three of those systems—along with wearables like Microsoft HoloLens and the Magic Leap One—have been used to create virtual art in real-world galleries, moving outside those confines and into public spaces...
(Excerpt) Read more at: WIRED
Wake Up To Breaking News!
I'm not always cranky, sometimes I'm actually running!