Overweight dog called Kai lost 100 lbs with her help of his foster mom

Mail Online | 8/13/2019 | Freya Drohan For Dailymail.com
hubbog (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2019/08/13/19/17240056-0-image-a-379_1565722680343.jpg

An obese dog has lost 100 lbs thanks to his Canadian foster mom who never gave up on his health journey, helping him drop from 170 lbs to the recommended 70 lbs.

Kai, a Golden Retriever, ballooned in weight when living with his previous owner, who then decided to put him down as he became too much to handle. A vet refused to euthanize the canine and called Misfits of Alberta Animal Rescue to help the poor pooch find a new home.

Edmonton - Woman - Pam - Heggie - Kai

Edmonton woman Pam Heggie stepped in and re-homed him, and ultimately helped eleven-year-old Kai lose a whopping seven stone in under a year.

Pam is a former cardiac rehabilitation nurse, so she had the compassion and skill set required to safely get Kai back down to the recommended weight after he came home with her in March 2018.

Golden - Retriever - Owners - Pets - Lbs

Golden Retriever owners are encouraged to ensure their pets stay between 65-75 lbs (male) or 55-65 lbs (female).

However, Kai's owners had allowed the dog to balloon to 170 lbs. Among the health risks associated with obesity in pets are difficulty breathing, heat intolerance, high blood pressure, diabetes, lameness, low immune system and increased likelihood of cancer.

Pictures - Justice - Pam - InspireMore - Com

'Even the pictures don't do justice of how overwhelmingly large he was,' Pam explained to InspireMore.com recently.

'He literally couldn't do anything,' she stated. 'He could walk a few steps and then he'd pant and lay down. It would just bring me to tears.'

Dog - Park - Everyone - Play - Kind

'I remember going to the dog park at first, and he'd just sit there. He'd watch everyone play and he'd just kind of look at me and I'd be like, "Buddy, I don't know if we're ever going to get there but we're gonna try."'

Pam brought things back to basics and started encouraging Kai to walk. She began to take him for...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Mail Online
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Tagged: