Spinal cord tumor survivor, 29, stuns doctors by walking, biking, and lifting weights

Mail Online | 8/12/2019 | Dailymail.com Reporter
Click For Photo: https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2019/08/12/23/17190984-0-image-a-16_1565647602754.jpg

At just 20 years old, Krystalynn Chee was told she might be wheelchair-bound for life.

After brushing off some numbness in her right leg for about a year, she was finally diagnosed with a tumor on her spinal cord in 2010.

MRI - Tumor - Krystalynn - Cord - Nerves

The MRI spotted an intramedullary tumor growing inside Krystalynn's spinal cord on the nerves, requiring imminent surgery.

The nine-hour operation was successful but her weakness and numbness persisted.

Doctors - Doctors - Build - Scar - Tissue

Doctors insisted it would fade, but it didn't, and in 2016 doctors found a build up of scar tissue applying pressure on the nerves in her spine again.

Then, there was the third surgery to deal with fluid build-up.

Recovery - Time - Doctors - Life - Wheelchair

The recovery was harder each time, but after the third doctors warned that she should prepare for a life in a wheelchair because they didn't think she'd walk again due to multiple surgeries which caused nerve damage.

They also said that her back strength was diminished so she'd never be able to lift anything heavier than 10 pounds.

Krystalynn - Arizona

It was crushing for Krystalynn, of Arizona, but she remained optimistic and became determined to prove them wrong.

She spent six months in a wheelchair before shocking her doctors by using a walker and returning to the gym to lift 25-pound weights.

Doctors - Wheelchair - Fuel - Krystalynn - Person

'My doctors told me that I may have to adjust to being in a wheelchair, but I used that as fuel to prove them wrong,' Krystalynn said. 'I'm a determined person and if you tell me I can't do something I will find a way to do it.'

She was devastated to be told that she may spend the rest of her life confined to a wheelchair, so she determinedly carried out rigorous physiotherapy sessions involving walking on a treadmill, using an exercise bike and leg strengthening exercises.

Doctors - Krystalynn

Now, her doctors are amazed when Krystalynn...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Mail Online
Wake Up To Breaking News!