Father-to-be was cut out of his car during Polcevera Bridge disaster

Mail Online | 8/12/2019 | Sarah Finley For Mailonline
jenn1020 (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2019/08/12/16/17193724-0-image-a-38_1565624298263.jpg

Click For Video: https://videos.dailymail.co.uk/video/mol/2019/08/12/2853429838902834901/1024x576_MP4_2853429838902834901.mp4

A man has recalled his harrowing experience of the deadly Morandi Bridge collapse in 2018.

Father-to-be Gianluca Ardini, from Italy, had to be hoisted out of his car 30 metres above ground, when his car fell with the collapse of Genoa's Morandi bridge last August.

Gianluca - Bridge - Colleague - Moment - Tonight

Gianluca was driving over the bridge with a colleague, when it collapsed, and he recalled the traumatic moment in tonight's BBC documentary When Bridges Collapse: The Genoa Disaster.

A 260 metre section of the bridge, carrying four lanes of traffic collapsed last August, while 17 cars and 10 lorries fell with it.

Gianluca - Tarmac - Movies - Lorry - Car

Gianluca described how the tarmac below them opened up 'just like the movies', while a lorry, which had fallen just before him became tangled with his car - 30 metres above ground.

Sadly, his colleague did not make it, and Gianluca, whose partner was at home and due to give birth in just a month, recalled how he knew he had to survive for them.

August - People - Bridge - Italy - Bridge

Last August 43 people were killed and and 13 were injured when the bridge collapsed - in what has been said as one of Italy's worst bridge disasters.

Talking about the fall Gianluca said: 'The tarmac just opened up – it was just like in the movies, we heard some some cracks and we plunged down.

'When - Colleague - Head - Wheel - Reply

'When I turned to see my colleague his head on the wheel and I thought he had fainted, but when I got no reply I realised he wasn’t alive.

'I felt pain everywhere and realised if I unbuckled my seat belt that I might fall out of the car. '

Sergio - Fire - Fighter - Scene - Gianluca

Speaking in the documentary Sergio, a local fire fighter who rushed to the scene and saved Gianluca, said it was strange to see the...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Mail Online
Wake Up To Breaking News!
2KXVI