Brain researchers invent an affordable smartphone measurement for testing of medications

ScienceDaily | 8/8/2019 | Staff
melanie7 (Posted by) Level 3
It is possible to test new medications for tremor in mouse models. Unfortunately, the equipment that measures the tremor in such tests is expensive and for that reason many scientists do not measure it. A single measuring device costs DKK 100,000-130,000. But now, brain researcher Eva Maria Meier Carlsen has invented an affordable solution to this problem.

'I thought it would be a pity if expensive equipment kept us from continuing our research to find treatments for tremor. That's why I set out to find an affordable and valid way to measure it, and I came up with the idea of ??using a smartphone as a measuring device', explains Eva Maria Meier Carlsen, who is a postdoc at the Department of Neuroscience.

Simplicity - Method - Works - Cage - Means

In all its simplicity, the new method works by suspending a cage by means of rubber bands. A smartphone is mounted on the cage and -- by means of its accelerometer -- it measures the vibrations of the cage if the mouse trembles. The accelerometer is what can detect the movement of the smartphone, e.g. when taking pictures or playing games. With this method, researchers can relatively easily test whether medications will work to alleviate the tremor.

The brain researchers have repeated their tests with advanced and expensive equipment for measurement of tremor in collaboration with the company Saniona which,...
(Excerpt) Read more at: ScienceDaily
Wake Up To Breaking News!