If Only Democrats Governed Like They Grocery Shop

Townhall | 8/1/2019 | Staff
moemajor (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://media.townhall.com/townhall/reu/s1280x720/2018/240/224de20d-0f3d-4d98-bdf3-9421e48f2a6c.jpg

Sheriff David Clarke, Ret.

Wandering through the produce section of my local grocery store last week, I kept seeing a couple of different words on the signs above the products. I noticed it on some of the meat and dairy items in the case, too. “Locally grown,” “locally sourced” and “derived from a sustainable source.”

Buzzwords - People - Surveys - Terms - Voters

They are buzzwords young people care deeply about. Surveys suggest they are terms meaningful to many liberal voters specifically. Whole Foods is largely built on those words, assuming you can afford to shop there, which, wealthy elite liberals can.

But what do those words really mean? Take “sustainability” first. Wikipedia defines it this way: “Sustainability is a process for meeting human development goals while maintaining the ability of natural systems to continue to provide the natural resources and ecosystem services upon which the economy and society depend.”

Produce - Meat - Dairy - Sources - Shoppers

How about locally sourced? That’s easier. It’s just what it says it is.The produce, meat, dairy, etc. you’re thumping and squeezing comes from local sources. Maybe shoppers feel good about that because it helps local farmers. Maybe they like the idea of money staying local to help the community. Maybe it’s the security of knowing they can actually visit where their food is produced.

Bottom line: all these attributes make shoppers feel a greater level of trust, confidence, and investment in their purchases yet they’re principles in direct conflict with their personal politics.

Whole - Foodie - Democrat - Politics - Suits

But try to tell a Whole Foodie who votes Democrat that their politics aren’t sustainable or locally sourced and somehow that suits them just fine. Seems to me Republicans should embrace this feel-good lingo and explain the philosophies behind them. Honestly, it’s the perfect sales pitch for conservatism. At the very least, it’s a way to punch holes in the politics of the left.

Look at recent...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Townhall
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Tagged: