Canadian policeman describes letting teen serial killer suspects go

Mail Online | 7/29/2019 | Josh Boswell In Split Lake, Manitoba For Dailymail.com
townskey13 (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2019/07/29/18/16642072-0-image-a-21_1564422661073.jpg

Click For Video: https://videos.dailymail.co.uk/video/mol/2019/07/26/1989357685487453577/1024x576_MP4_1989357685487453577.mp4

A police officer described to DailyMailTV how he stopped - but then let go - the two alleged teen serial killers because news of their triple murder spree had not reached his small town in Manitoba, Canada.

Local constable Albert Saunders stopped teenagers Kam McLeod, 19, and Bryer Schmegelsky, 18, and searched their 2011 gray Toyota RAV4, after they blew through a police checkpoint at Split Lake, northern Manitoba on July 22.

Interview - Saunders - Guys - Run - Pictures

In an exclusive interview, Saunders said, 'I didn't really know those guys were on the run, that's why I didn't think much about it at first, until after they posted the pictures of them the next day,' Saunders said.

The pair had allegedly gone on a murder rampage through British Columbia, 1,800 miles from where Saunders is based.

Royal - Canadian - Mounted - Police - Law

But Royal Canadian Mounted Police only warned local law enforcement to be on the lookout for McLeod and Schmegelsky, both of Vancouver Island, British Columbia, on July 23 - the day after Saunders spotted them.

Saunders described how he is now wracked with guilt after discovering he could have stopped the alleged serial killers in their tracks.

Feel - Something - Something

'I feel I could have done something more, like I should have done something earlier,' he said.

Saunders said the teens drove past him and his partner constable Morgan Spence at a traffic checkpoint in the RAV4, which had not yet been reported stolen from murder victim Leonard Dyck.

Saunders - Lights - Truck - Me - Partner

Saunders said,'They slowed down and then they drove by. I had the lights on and I was standing outside the truck. Me and my partner jumped in the truck and we went to stop them.'

Saunders said the boys saw the police in pursuit and pulled over.

Engine - Lights

He said, 'They turned off their engine, and I asked them why didn't they stop, they were supposed to stop when the lights are...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Mail Online
Wake Up To Breaking News!