Surviving and thriving in the Demographic Disaster we face as a Church. Wherein Fr. Z rants.

wdtprs.com | 7/26/2019 | View all posts by Fr. John Zuhlsdorf →
idkwatitis (Posted by) Level 3

The article I read at Crisis, to which I will soon turn my attention below, has the ring of truth.

But first, some scene-setting.

USA - Church - Band - Adventurers - March

In these USA, we as a Church are like band of adventurers on the march towards a long-desired destination. We have swamps and storms and enemies to face at every turn. Sometimes we are forced on horribly high and perilous paths only to find tenuous bridges over chasms heading towards tunnels filled with orcs or forests with hypnotic spiders. The voyage takes its toll on our numbers.

And, soon, a big drop in numbers will result when the inevitable battle takes place. A heavily-armed force named Demographics is coming at us from the other direction. We will soon collide.

Number - People - Catholic - Number - Priests

The number of people saying they are or pretending still to be Catholic will soon plummet. The number of diocesan priests and religious will shrink as the Biological Solution catches up to presbyterates and orders.

This is the state of the question after decades of both purposeful and systematic corrosion of Catholic identity as well as erosion through neglect and incompetence. Europe is worse and Latin America is incomprehensible.

Collision - Happens

When the demographic collision happens, and it will, only the strong and disciplined will survive.

Right now, who are the strong? Traditionalist Catholics, for sure, and probably also those of a more charismatic bent.

Worship - Catholic - Lots - Children - Back

Those who are attracted to traditional worship are strong, hard-identity Catholic. They are young and they are having lots of children. Back in the day, friends would say to me that the Novus Ordo would fade away and all that would be left would be the TLM. I pretty much scoffed at that claim… then. Now, I’m not so sure. Look at the demographics. Also, strong, are those next-generation young people who have inherited a saner and sounder charismatic approach. They pray...
(Excerpt) Read more at: wdtprs.com
Wake Up To Breaking News!