Fire Emblem: Three Houses review: The Switch's summer romance

CNET | 7/25/2019 | Scott Stein
TitanSwimr (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://cnet4.cbsistatic.com/img/xsCGjNHg8K_fuaXmO6lT7E7uIi0=/756x567/2019/07/25/4480c558-a029-4520-997c-52c86e6fdb2e/fireemblemthreehouses-4.jpg

Part of Three Houses looks like this: battles on a grid.

The Nintendo Switch has no shortage of RPG adventures. There's Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Skyrim, Octopath Traveler, Xenoblade Chronicles 2. Fire Emblem: Three Houses is an RPG of a different type completely.

Fire - Emblem - Franchise - Nintendo - Games

Fire Emblem is a long-running franchise for Nintendo. There were three games on the 3DS: Awakening, Fates, and Echoes: Shadows of Valentia. There's a game for phones, Fire Emblem Heroes, and the Switch already has a Fire Emblem-themed game, Fire Emblem Warriors. But Three Houses is the first true Fire Emblem game in the series for the Switch. And, about 10 hours in, it's getting me to spend hours like I'm lost in a sprawling fantasy novel.

I'm not well-versed in the Fire Emblem universe or in social RPGs like Persona. I played Fire Emblem games way back on Game Boy Advance when they seemed like offshoots of the Advance Wars games. I mostly saw them as turn-based, strategy. The Fire Emblem games have a larger, expanding story and I'm not part of that world. I haven't played the last couple of games. But I heard the hype and I was curious. I wanted to dive in. The Switch version of Fire Emblem, developed by Intelligent Systems and Koei, feels like a hybrid of game styles in... a way that I'm unsure about.

Fire - Emblem - Vortex - Characters - School

Fire Emblem is intimidating. It starts with a vortex of anime characters enmeshed in a school in a monastery, part of an odd church organization that seems somewhat sinister. You're a weird, lost person without a clear history, who somehow ends up becoming a professor. There's a ghost girl following you, sharing thoughts you can't quite understand. The school of frequently dramatic students and faculty are all voice-acted, and many times I ended up feeling like...
(Excerpt) Read more at: CNET
Wake Up To Breaking News!