Judi Dench leads celebrity support for the Mail's dementia care campaign

Mail Online | 7/23/2019 | Eleanor Sharples;Xantha Leatham For The Daily Mail
hoppers911 (Posted by) Level 4
Click For Photo: https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2019/07/24/00/16417072-0-image-a-82_1563926285606.jpg

Dame Judi Dench last night led celebrity support for the Daily Mail's dementia care campaign.

The Oscar winner said the Mail had added 'unstoppable momentum' to the movement to reform social care.

Dame - Judi - Downton - Abbey - Creator

Dame Judi was joined by Downton Abbey creator Lord Fellowes, broadcaster Dame Esther Rantzen and former Strictly Come Dancing judge Arlene Phillips.

Actor Kevin Whately, who played Lewis in the Inspector Morse series, comedienne Meera Syal, who created Goodness Gracious Me, veteran newsreader Angela Rippon, and Steph Booth, widow of sitcom star Tony Booth, also gave their support.

Dame - Judi - Horrors - Dementia - Film

Dame Judi said she had learned of the horrors of dementia when, in the 2001 film Iris, she portrayed how novelist Iris Murdoch suffered with Alzheimer's disease.

The Mail has been inundated with support from readers hit by a 'tax on dementia' – families have spent £15billion supporting relatives with the condition in the past two years alone.

Time - People - Care - Funding - Councils

In that time 770,000 people over 65 have been turned down for care funding by local councils. Many have had to sell their homes to pay for their care – with bills often surpassing £100,000 a year.

Dame Judi, 84, said: 'I know from playing the role of Iris Murdoch that Alzheimer's is a cruel disease that not only affects the person diagnosed but their family, friends and colleagues.

Alzheimer - Society - Patron - Charity - Reform

'I'm proud to call myself an Alzheimer's Society patron because it's a charity that is constantly pushing for reform to make life better for people who are living with dementia. I'm pleased to see the Mail has stepped up to fight the grave injustice of social care, including supporting Alzheimer's Society's call for an NHS dementia fund to address urgent needs now.

'I feel that there is an unstoppable momentum thanks to the Mail, and that the new prime minister will be held to account if he doesn't immediately address this mounting...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Mail Online
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Don't panic!