Mayflower Steps where pilgrims left for America 400 years ago is actually 'in a pub's ladies toilet'

Mail Online | 7/22/2019 | Joseph Laws For Mailonline
my_new_puppy (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2019/07/22/19/16356828-0-image-a-18_1563820876664.jpg

The location of the historic Mayflower Steps is actually inside the ladies toilets of a pub, according to the staff that work there.

The famous steps in Plymouth, Devon, are where the pilgrim fathers left England aboard the Mayflower in 1620 before crossing the Atlantic Ocean to settle in North America.

Year - Thousands - Tourists - City - Footsteps

Every year thousands of tourists flock to the city to retrace the footsteps of the iconic pioneers.

But locals say the holidaymakers and historians are actually visiting the wrong spot.

Steps - Location - Mayflower - Steps - Admiral

Those steps were actually built in 1934 - and the location of the actual Mayflower steps were originally beneath the Admiral MacBride pub a few feet away.

Experts say the actual site of the embarkation point of the Mayflower was under what is now a modest female toilet cubicle.

Admiral - MacBride - Head - Chef - Ollie

Admiral MacBride's head chef Ollie Marshall said: 'Legend has it that this is the home of the Mayflower Steps.

'The building was put on top of it more than 300 years ago and they are directly beneath the women's toilets.'

Royal - Navy - Admiral - MacBride - Part

'I'm ex Royal Navy and I've been drinking at the Admiral MacBride for the best part of 20 years, so I know the pub quite well.

'It is well known that the original Pilgrim Father steps are in the ladies toilets. I've not yet had an invite to go and see them yet but I know they're there.

'Lots - People

'Lots of people talk about it.

'It's one of those things, it's a story or part of legend that's never subsided so people do mention it and you hear it from time to time.

Fact - Stone - Throw

'And I think it's based on historical fact, it's only a stone's throw...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Mail Online
Wake Up To Breaking News!