The Great Reward in Thankless Service

The Gospel Coalition | 7/22/2019 | Betsy Childs Howard
Mireille (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://media.thegospelcoalition.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/07/05122431/thankless-job.jpg

It’s Wednesday night. I’ve cooked dinner for the Bible study we host each week in our apartment. The meal is ready on time. As members arrive from their jobs around the city, they exclaim how “amazing” dinner smells, and it turns out to be tasty. The men help themselves to seconds, and the women again announce that it was “amazing.”

I think silently, I love to serve!

Thursday - Night - Dinner - Husband - Start

It’s Thursday night. I’ve cooked dinner for my husband and myself. I got a late start because I forgot to buy fresh garlic at the store and had to go back. I turn the oven up, hoping the meal will cook faster. The kitchen is hot, and I’m a bit sweaty, but we sit down to eat not too many minutes after I had planned. As I cut into my chicken breast, I see the sickening pink of an uncooked middle. I look over at my husband, who is silently cutting around the center of his chicken breast.

I start a passionate internal monologue of self-defense: He has no idea how much I do for us. He takes me for granted. Our oven is not reliable. I do too much for our church. The fact that our chicken is raw is not my fault!

Scenarios - Love/hate - Relationship - Serving - Service

These two scenarios encapsulate my love/hate relationship with serving. When serving makes me look good, it’s rewarding. When my service is deficient (e.g., raw chicken) I get angry and want to blame someone. When my service is overlooked, I feel resentful and unappreciated.

Most of the Christians I know take for granted that serving others is a good thing. After all, Jesus said, “But whoever would be great among you must be your servant” (Matt. 20:26). Moreover, in some relationships we have no choice but to serve others, as when caring for small children...
(Excerpt) Read more at: The Gospel Coalition
Wake Up To Breaking News!
There's no problem on the inside of a kid that the outside of a dog can't cure.