Brett McGurk on Iran

Sparta Report | 7/21/2019 | Mark Rosneck
Mijac (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://www.spartareport.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/12/Brett-McGurk.jpg

I like Brett McGurk. He is a dedicated diplomat who resigned January 31, 2018 over differences with the Trump administration. He worked as a special envoy to the Middle East under George W. Bush and Barack Obama.

Let there be no doubt that the man is clearly a patriot.

Thinking - View - Demonstration - Thinking - Middle

However, his thinking, in my view, is a demonstration of thinking that has been ineffective in the Middle east for many, many years.

In traditional diplomacy, I’d agree with Mr. McGurk where when all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail. If all you can do is exert pressure, eventually something bad happens when one side or the other decides they’re not going to take it any longer.

President - Trump - Way - Things - Something

President Trump doesn’t act this way. He tends to try different things and definitely isn’t one to keep pounding on something that’s not working. The ****-for-tat cycle is how Iran has played the game for as long as I can recall so I don’t think Trump has made things worse in that regard. I also don’t think it’s made things better and the president will need to do something different.

As far as the objective, this has been clear: “We need to talk and come up with a better and more verifiable arrangement on nuclear power.”

Consequence - Lack - Process - Inquiry - Policy

This is consequence of a total lack of process or rigorous inquiry before setting policy and contemplating contingency and risk. It weakens our country and places an impossible burden on our people holding military and diplomatic lines overseas.

With due respect, Mr. McGurk, but we’ve been doing this for a very, very long time with no results. Over the last two administrations there have no doubt been dozens or maybe hundreds of rigorous inquiries which have either been wrong or simply ineffective. If this path led to an answer, we’d already...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Sparta Report
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Tagged: