Father tells court that the face recognition camera system is sexist, racist and illegal

Mail Online | 7/20/2019 | Abul Taher Security Correspondent For The Mail On Sunday
jenny1246 (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2019/07/20/21/16291652-0-image-a-2_1563653597500.jpg

Click For Video: https://videos.dailymail.co.uk/video/mol/2019/05/16/3493876264687979220/1024x576_MP4_3493876264687979220.mp4

Police facial recognition cameras could be prohibited across the country after a man who was filmed while shopping brought a landmark case.

Father-of-two Ed Bridges has launched his claim in the High Court against the Home Office and his local force, South Wales Police.

Privacy - Rights - Campaigners

He is being supported by privacy and human rights campaigners.

They contend the technology not only breaches data protection laws, but is also racist and sexist because it fails to distinguish effectively between different women or ethnic minority members.

Mr - Bridges - Office - Cardiff - University

Mr Bridges had stepped out of his office at Cardiff University to go window-shopping for Christmas presents in December 2017 when he spotted a police van with a camera on top.

The 36-year-old told The Mail on Sunday: 'I didn't think anything of it until I was close enough to read the words 'facial recognition technology' on the van.

Van - Face - Data - Times - Invasion

'When you are close enough to the van to read that, it will have captured your biometric face data several times over. That struck me as an invasion of my privacy.'

He thought no more of it at the time, but in March 2018 he took part in a protest outside Cardiff International Arena against an arms fair, and after seeing a police van equipped with facial recognition cameras, he felt he was being 'treated like a criminal'.

'I - People - Right - Protest - Crowd

He said: 'I felt this was being done to try to discourage people from using their right of peaceful protest and intimidate the crowd who were causing no bother.'

At the time, facial recognition cameras were being used only by South Wales Police and Scotland Yard, although forces in Leicestershire and Greater Manchester had also tested the system.

Mr - Bridges - Campaign - Group - Liberty

Mr Bridges contacted the campaign group Liberty, as he knew it was...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Mail Online
Wake Up To Breaking News!