‘The Boys’ Review: The Nihilistic, Cruel, Heartless Superhero Show We Probably Deserve

/Film | 7/19/2019 | Chris Evangelista
Click For Photo: https://d13ezvd6yrslxm.cloudfront.net/wp/wp-content/images/the-boys-review.jpg

The Boys, Amazon’s new anti-superhero series, is so nihilistic and cruel that it’s either unbearable, or the perfect show for the current era we’re in. There’s a longstanding argument about whether or not entertainment loaded with unlikable characters can be enjoyed. It can – as long as the characters are well drawn, and there’s at least some specter of empathy lurking beneath it all. The Boys is not a show like that. It is void of hope, and void of heart. But that’s also the point. In the end, it’s a conflicting show – I’m horrified by what it’s selling, but I’m supposed to be. I walked away feeling utterly miserable. So…mission accomplished, I guess?

Based on the comic book series by Garth Ennis and Darick Robertson, The Boys presents us with a world where superheroes are very real, and not very heroic. If “power tends to corrupt and absolute power corrupts absolutely,” as John Dalberg-Action once wrote, then it stands to reason that superpower would super corrupt. So it goes in The Boys, where every superhero is either debauched, drugged-up, or downright deranged. Corporations have gotten involved, specifically the all-powerful company Vought, which micromanages nearly every aspect of superhero life. The supes are told what to do and when to do it by executives. Their “heroics” are little more than PR stunts. Their faces appear everywhere, hocking products and advertising locations. And, for the most part, they’re beloved celebrities. The general public has no idea these heroes have a dark side.

Hughie - Campbell - Jack - Quaid - Way

Hughie Campbell (Jack Quaid) learns that the hard way when A-Train (Jessie Usher), a super-fast hero modeled on the Flash, zooms straight through Hughie’s girlfriend, exploding her into little more than a mess of blood and gore. A-Train is a member of The Seven, a super-elite group of supes obviously...
(Excerpt) Read more at: /Film
Wake Up To Breaking News!
No matter where you go, there you are.