We Watched Gorgeous and Gripping First Episode of ‘The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance’, and Our Jaws Are Still on the Floor [Comic-Con 2019]

/Film | 7/19/2019 | Hoai-Tran Bui
Click For Photo: https://d13ezvd6yrslxm.cloudfront.net/wp/wp-content/images/darkcrystal-ageofresistance-deet-flower.jpg

Netflix isn’t immune to Hollywood’s obsession with digging back into the past for a dose of nostalgia in their entertainment line-up. This time they’re reaching into cult territory with a revival of The Dark Crystal, the fantasy adventure film from Jim Henson that fascinated audiences in 1982 and continues to be a retro favorite for many cinephiles. But instead of your average feature film sequel, Netflix is unleashing The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance, a prequel series with an all-star cast and state-of-the-art puppetry.

Executive producer Lisa Henson was joined by director Louis Leterrier and stars Taron Egerton and Mark Hamill to talk about how the unlikely prequel series came to be at The Dark Crystal Age of Resistance Comic-Con panel, and they showed attendees the first episode of the Netflix series. See our reaction to the first episode of The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance below.

Things - Jim - Henson - Film - World

One of the remarkable things about Jim Henson’s 1982 original film is that it thrusts you into the rich, sprawling world of Thra with barely more explanation than a quick beginning narration. So similar to the high fantasy worlds we’ve seen before and yet so alien in its use of inhuman protagonists portrayed only by puppets, The Dark Crystal was unapologetically dense to the point of being confusing. Not so with Netflix’s The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance. Just as dark, gnarled, and bizarre as Henson’s ambitious original, Age of Resistance also offers a much easier entry point for new fans, while delivering one of the most jaw-droppingly gorgeous and bewitching pieces of fantasy storytelling in recent memory.

I’ll admit that I was ambivalent to the original film, which I saw recently and thus have no nostalgic affection for (though I admired its audacity). But I was completely entranced by The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance....
(Excerpt) Read more at: /Film
Wake Up To Breaking News!