He Taught Me How to Face Death: A Tribute to Dr. David Powlison

Biblical Counseling Coalition | 7/19/2019 | Lee Lewis
Click For Photo: http://www.biblicalcounselingcoalition.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/07/BlogPic-7.19.19.png

My journey into biblical counseling and pastoral ministries was not via the typical path. I went to seminary after Bible college with the hope and goal of pastoring. The Lord presented an opportunity for me to pursue a master’s in counseling while doing M.Div. work. The counseling degree I ended up with was not a biblical counseling degree. I left seminary not even knowing such a thing existed.

In 2005, by God’s providence, He orchestrated an opportunity for me to start a counseling practice in a biblical counseling center. There, I was retrained in the ways of biblical counseling by some wonderful mentors. It was there that I was exposed to a wonderful host of men and women in the biblical counseling movement whose writings and instruction turned my world upside down (in a really good way)! David Powlison was probably the greatest voice the Lord used in my life in those early years of my counseling and pastoral ministry.

Months - Notes - Years - David - Writings

The past several months, I have gone through different notes I have taken over the years from David’s writings, lectures, teachings, and encouragements. Many of those notes were scribbled during Biblical Counseling Coalition gatherings. I always felt a bit like a stalker, but I would try to sit near where David was sitting so I could glean from his life-giving gospel worldview. Re-reading these notes I have collected over the years has filled my heart afresh with the hope of our great Lord Jesus Christ.

The first time I heard David speak was at the 2007 NANC (now ACBC) Annual Conference. I attended his session called “Facing Death.” I went to the session thinking I would be better equipped to help others who are facing great sorrow and death. I left the session having come face-to-face with my own mortality but with a...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Biblical Counseling Coalition
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Sometimes I Wake Up Grumpy. Other Times I Let Her Sleep