11th Hour Preacher Party: To Do and To Be

RevGalBlogPals | 7/19/2019 | Staff
Click For Photo: https://revgalblogpals.files.wordpress.com/2019/07/lbuzrv1jrerdsgkmnwuw.jpg

Along with a group of clergy colleagues I am reading the book “Down Girl, The Logic of Misogyny” by Kate Manne. The book begins with stories about violence against women but then moves into a philosophical discussion and assessment of sexism and misogyny with some commentary on misogynoir (misogyny directed to women of color). It is an extremely thought provoking book, and I am only part way through the book.

So, with this narrative in mind, I have many thoughts about the reading in Luke today about Martha and Mary and values of patriarchal society that informs how both women and men view the dominant role of men and the role of women to nurture and coddle men. It is a worldview that can pit women against women, influenced by who is being the “good” girl according to this ideology and who is not. Is Martha the good woman? Or is Mary? Or, are they each within a view that clashes a patriarchal norm with a changing paradigm?

Paradigm - Years - Jesus - Point - God

Well, maybe the paradigm was not changing that much 2000 years ago. Or maybe, as Jesus influenced those around him, it was changing just that radically? We’ll never really know. The point I’d make is that with God all things are being made new and the challenges to change with in fact change everything. In time.

I am actually working with...
(Excerpt) Read more at: RevGalBlogPals
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Tagged: