Amazon’s Blink XT2 outdoor security camera survived a heat wave and a rainstorm

CNET | 7/19/2019 | Megan Wollerton
MysticHeart (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://cnet2.cbsistatic.com/img/6hgjip6B8YuDkfYc_tEU7_N4Hzk=/2019/07/16/58f48acd-5b1a-4a00-b343-8f4192743b4a/blink-2-cam-1.jpg

Meet the Blink XT2 outdoor security camera.

I didn't like the original Blink camera I tested back in 2016. The main problem: It had no features. OK, "no features" isn't entirely fair. The battery-powered indoor camera, dreamed up by startup Immedia and funded on Kickstarter, had an app and motion alerts. The Blink camera was missing nearly everything else, though.

Impression - Company - Cams - Amazon - Blink

With that first impression, I wasn't sure what to expect from the company's future cams. Amazon acquired Blink in late 2017 and another DIY security camera company, Ring, in early 2018. So when Blink announced its latest camera, the XT2, I was eager to give it a second chance.

The original Blink camera did have a few positives: a long battery life, free video clip storage in the app, and it was pretty cheap.

Time - Weatherproof - Blink - XT2 - Things

That wasn't nearly enough to make it worth recommending at the time. Fortunately, the weatherproof Blink XT2 mostly fixes the things I didn't like about that first-gen model, while keeping the low price, claims of two-year battery life and free storage.

Here are my impressions after nearly a week with the Blink XT2.

Recognition - Camera - Ones

Want a facial recognition camera? Here are the best ones of 2019.

Today I set up the Blink XT2. I specifically got the $100 one-camera kit. I logged into the Blink app with the account I created to test the original camera three years ago and all of the motion recordings with full audio were still there.

CNET - Colleague - Chris - Monroe - Merits

CNET colleague Chris Monroe and I were debating the merits of the hot dog in one clip. Not much has changed.

The new kit I got includes one Blink Sync module and one Blink XT2 camera. The Sync module helps the camera and the app communicate and it's required. It's supposed to help extend the battery life too. Older Sync modules...
(Excerpt) Read more at: CNET
Wake Up To Breaking News!